Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oh Deer!


I've finally had my first run-in with a deer and it was NOT fun. I've had some near, squeaky misses in the 5.5 years we've lived out here but it was all over on Tuesday morning. One thing you learn pretty quickly is that if you see one deer, it's a pretty safe bet there's at least one more not too far behind. They roam around our neighborhood a lot so you start "feeling" that they are there.

Tuesday morning I was driving to school and suddenly a deer passes right in front of my bumper. My internal dialogue went something like this, "I hate this song, I'll just change channels, oh crap, look, a deer" as the deer darted front of my bumper I remember saying out loud, 'Crap, a deer! Quick, Lorie, see if you see ano..." and that's as far as I got before the second deer popped out. I smashed into it with my front right side and it went down. I asked Lorie if she saw what it did and her answer was that it just kind of bounced from view. Since I was on a dark county road and first wanted to make sure I could keep driving safely, I drove a couple hundred feet down to a little county church's parking lot and used the lamppost there to check out my car. I could see a cracked headlight and some fur stuck in my bumper, but that was all. The tire looked good and there wasn't a smooshed anything in any part of the car. I called Kenny and he said to go ahead to the school and he'd come up when the sun came up and check it out. As I drove back I couldn't see a deer, which bothered me a bit because I didn't know how badly he was hurt (I refuse to share the sentiments of some of the good ole boys when I told this story later.).

Kenny came by eventually and there's actually more damage than I thought at first. It looks like the deer banged into my headlight and busted part of the front grill and then when he went down he got caught in the tire and some part of him bang into the front right panel of my car...not fixable by the great Ken-dini!

We JUST got that car paid off, too. Ain't them the roadapples of life!

Oh, I found the camera, hence the picture. Cute update about the truck: Tall Kenny got to drive his truck to church. During youth group one of the boys asked if the red truck in the parking lot was his and when Kenny said yes, he got a "cool" for a response. Kenny took a side look at me and grinned. So funny!

2 comments:

lbhaney said...

Oh that stinks! I feel terrible for you and Lorie, that had to be incredibly nerve wracking. And not knowing what happened to the deer is sad. But, thankfully you and Lorie weren't hurt! I've seen some photos of deer damage and it can be really bad for everyone involved. Our company always posts warnings at the beginning of deer season on our intranet site...one of the interesting things they said, that dove tails with your lesson learned, is that male dears don't like it when their ladies are on the other side of the road from them, so if a female tiptoes across the road, the male will sometime bound across without looking.

Anyway - big hugs to you!

Tracy said...

The insurance adjustor came to the school to check out the damage. He left the info on my windshield (which I thought a bit odd). When Kenny got home and saw it he laughed. Apparently the deer put almost $1000 worth of damage on my car which is NOT what it looks like. I really do need to go out and take a picture of it. I'm just glad our share will only be $250!