Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Great Stye Adventure

Last Friday I got that "feeling" in my eye. I could see the pinky puffiness and thought, "Crap, I've got a stye." But this wasn't my first time in the stye rodeo. They arrive, unwanted and disgusting. I put hot compresses on them, they burst and go away. Not to be this time. I didn't have just one, I had four (yes, as in 1-2-3-4) styes on my upper right eyelid. One was under the lid. So no makeup on Saturday and Sunday for church. I only got one, "are you feeling well" comment at church, which is surprising as without eyemake up I resemble a squinky-eyed mole. But I digress.

I posted my issue on Facebook on Sunday and got the warm/hot compress comment and then also got the suggestion to use warm teabags as the tannic acid helps. Monday I woke up with something the size of a pencil eraser in the tear duct area of my eye. My eye was swollen half-shut. This girl? Called in sick! Kenny told me I had to see a doctor and I agreed. But, being me, I went back to sleep to enjoy my day off a bit...even with an eye that felt like sandpaper scratching it with every blink. When I woke up the Walgreen's Take Care Clinics around me were already at 1-2 hour waits and my primary doctor (who only sees patients in the mornings now) was no help. But then a thought crossed my mind. The stye is in my eye. Maybe my eye doctor can do something?! (I know, I know, kind of a duh moment.) I called and my awesome friend Angie answered the phone. She said to come on in!

Little did I know. She used a needle/scalpel instrument to cut about 7-8 drainholes in my eye. So disgusting. However, I did NOT throw up on her and I did NOT pass out on her. But it was close. I went home and kept the compresses on, massaged my eye and applied antibiotic drops.

Tuesday morning I woke up with a couple styes headed but went to work anyhow. I got the double take as I walked down the hall and people staring/but trying not to stare. My principal came by and asked if I needed to go home. :) So I did!

Today I have one small head and a bunch of dead skin. It's irritating but I look a lot better.

And tomorrow I might even get to wear eye makeup again.

No comments: