Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Well, hello, November!

So it’s Tuesday and, wow, is it a Monday-feeling kind of day. I must have caught up on the extra hour we got because of the time change this past weekend because I could honestly lay my head down on my desk and go to sleep.

Yesterday was the first of my two doctor appointments scheduled for this week. It was my check-up on my thyroid. Now usually my appointment goes a little something like this:

Me: I’m fatigued and gaining weight
            NP: Your numbers are in the normal range. You should exercise

Okay, so I know I should exercise. I get that. But I. Am. Exhausted. It’s all I can do to drag myself to work, come home and put something on the table, or do the evening activity (if there is one).  If I had a smidge of energy, I would exercise. But, anyhow, I go into the appointment yesterday and this is how it goes:

                NP: So last time we discussed your weight gain. Have you had any other symptoms?
                Me: Yes. I’m super fatigued, have stomach issues, and am doing that brain fog thing again

NP: Well, I’m glad we chose to track your numbers because they have fluctuated. You are still in the normal range, but we listen to what your body is saying. With all your symptoms, I feel comfortable changing your dosage.

Say what? I’ve been going to this endocrinologist’s office for almost 5 years. The only time my meds have been adjusted is when I accidentally got to speak to the doctor instead of the nurse-practitioner and HE said that he wanted to listen to what my body was saying. I’m not complaining (okay, so I guess, technically I am), but sheesh! Anyhow, today is my first day on the new meds. It’ll take about 2 weeks for it to really kick in and me notice anything (if it makes a difference). I have to go back in 6 weeks for bloodwork and for them to check and see how I’m doing.
Tomorrow is the BIG appointment. I have to be near Jonesboro by 9:30 a.m. People keep asking me who is going with me. No one.  Kenny said he’d go with me but when he checked his calendar, sure enough, he’s got some big project going on. Sandra, Frances, and even Mom offered to come with me. I think I just want to go by myself. I’m not sure I could handle an hour of small talk during the drive down and then small talk during the wait at the office. And with the appointment being anywhere from 30 minutes to up to 3 hours (if they have to do a biopsy), I just would rather take a book and suffer through it all in silence.

I’m a little stunned by it all. On one hand, I know that it’s 99.9% going to be a cyst. The radiologist said it was probably a cyst. But then, as the radiologist put it, it’s not 0% not cancer.
I wish I had some get up and go. But it got up and went when I wasn’t looking!

No comments: