Friday, December 6, 2013

My apologies, Mr. Gaither!


My sincerest apologies to Mr. Gaither and his Homecoming people for the sneeriness of my attitude. Last night I went to the Gaither’s Homecoming Christmas concert at the Gwinnett arena. We go every year with the church. It’s funny…every year I sneer and make snide remarks and huff and puff my way to the concert and every year I’m absolutely blown away as some of the performances (Isaacs and David Phelps…I looking at you!!!). I think it’s the banter that gets me. Don’t get me wrong, some of it is cute and funny but it’s so rehearsed. They do a good job to try to make it NOT seem so rehearsed but things run too, well, smoothly for the bobbles to be real bobbles. But then I don’t like Duck Dynasty for the same reason. I know there are lots of people who watch and enjoy the show and find them to be genuinely hilarious. And they may very well be hilarious…the first time they cut a remark. However, by the time they film it? It’s rehearsed and forced and someone like me just can’t get around that. Which is strange because I am truly so easily amused. My kids (well, my 14-yr old, mainly) get embarrassed because of the things that crack me up.

Case in point, a couple weeks ago Jo and I are at the pediatrician. We are in the waiting room and they have Sesame Street on the TV. Jo’s texting on her phone and I’m playing Candy Crush (don’t judge). Anyhow, it’s an Elmo section of S.S. and the following busted through my Candy Crush zone and tickled me. Elmo was talking to a fish or a turtle or some creature like that, I didn’t stop to check, and he says, “What do you do? Elmo doesn’t know much about you other than you swim around and say ‘forsooth’ a lot.” Okay, so right now at this very moment, that doesn’t sound funny. But at that moment in time in the pediatrician’s office? Pure comedy magic. So I’m cracking up (and I don’t laugh softly) and in my defense, I did NOT snort  (it happens when I laugh sometimes) but Jo was mortified. Of course, once I explained, and I did the Elmo voice, she softly laughed, too. Softly. She takes after her father.

Kenny and I can be watching the same show and I’m rolling around laughing at something and he’ll just be looking at the screen. When I ask him if he didn’t get the joke (it happens) he’ll say something like, “No, I found it funny. But just not funny enough to laugh hysterically at” at which point he gives me “the look.” <sigh>

Sheesh!

No comments: