Friday, December 27, 2013

Pinterest "fun"


I’m not a cook by any sense of the word. However, I do have people who count on eating in the house and don’t really go for the “make a sandwich” thought. Course, I get sick of sandwiches, too, so I can’t really blame them. Since I really can’t stand making up menus and I really get tired of making the same thing over and over, I decided to do an experiment and told all the kids that our meals over Christmas Break would have to be Pinterest recipes. I set up a group board on my Pinterest account (http://www.pinterest.com/tootlyb/) and posted some recipes there. One child out of the four that are home posted a recipe…yep, A recipe. Maybe she posted two. But anyhow, 2 meals out of the 14 days of meals?  Looks like it’ll be Mom’s Choice as usual.
Problem #1…I’m sick. Really sick. We struggled through the first weekend of Christmas Break with takeout pizza. and what was in the house. I rallied on Monday and did 2-hour grocery run that almost took me out. What got me through was knowing that the troops would be ready to help unload the car and put groceries away. Only the troops were still asleep when I got home.

Problem #2…teenagers. Like I said before, the troops were all still sleeping when I got home at 11am so I had to unload the car by myself and put things away. Meg woke up at some point during the process and helped kinda put things away. The troops also slept in the next day so didn’t eat the breakfast I made. This happened the day after Christmas, too. Probably will happen with the casserole I’ve got in the oven right now. I’m starting to wonder why I’m making breakfasts at all. So far, they've not been teenager-y and been really sweet about trying the meals.
So far I’ve made two lunches, 3 breakfasts, and 1 dinner over the past four days.

Lunch 1…7 Can Chicken Enchilada Soup (http://www.highheelsandgrills.com/2013/12/7-can-chicken-enchilada-soup.html )  This was okay. I won’t make it again, though. I prefer Progresso's Chicken Enchilada Soup from the can, to be honest.
Lunch 2…Oven Baked Meatball Sandwiches (http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/671518-Oven_Baked_Meatball_Sandwiches?_szp=78232&_szi=28 ) This was easy and the family liked it. I will make sure to get regular size meatballs next time though. I didn’t check the package and got the humongo-sized ones accidentally and then had to cut them down.

Breakfast #1…Easy Monkey Bread Muffins (http://thefrugalgirls.com/2012/03/monkey-bread-muffins-recipe.html ) These were really good. I put too many biscuit pieces in each muffin tin and the recipe made way too much caramel-ish sauce so I'll have to make adjustments for that. It's also fairly time consuming because you have to cut the biscuits down and shake them in a sugar/cinnamon mixture before putting them in the muffin tins.
Breakfast #2… Pancake squares (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/241505598741810882/)  I’ve made this before. Super easy and, luckily, it warms up okay.. I left one third plain, put chocolate chips on one third, and blueberries on a third.
Breakfast #3…Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/241505598741810883/ ) I use sausage for the meat layer and country-style hashbrowns for the top. Yummy! I made this for church one morning when it was my turn to bring breakfast for coffee hour. It's cooking right now and smells delish!

Dinner #1… (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/241505598741844628/ ) Dorito Chicken Casserole…I had this down for one of our lunch options but made it for dinner anyhow. The family liked it. I’d rather just have regular tacos or a taco salad, personally.
Today’s lunch is French Dip Crescent Rolls and tonight’s dinner is a Crockpot Pork Loin (which I need to got put together and get started). Fingers crossed!

No comments: