Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Fair warning: a whole lot of nothing in this post!


Well, that stunk. Yep. It did. For my Introduction to Biblical Counseling class I had to do a personal paper of no less than three pages about an area (or areas) in my life where I would like the Lord’s healing. I gotta say I was a bit resentful of this assignment. I’ve met this woman once or twice in my life (it’s an online class) and I’m about to spill my guts over something in my life? And get graded on it? Sheesh!


My wrinkly hand. My right-hand is
worse but I had a hard enough time
taking a picture one-handed of
my left hand!
Little bit of ADD happening around here, just to give you fair warning, so major topic change for no reason coming in 3-2-1. I’ve been noticing lately how old my hands look. I’ve got freckles/age spots and the worst wrinkles and parchment paper skin ever. Honestly it’s like my skin stretched out a bit too much and I’m wearing skin gloves (which totally makes me think of the first “Men in Black” movie where the farmer’s wife is talking to Agents K & J about her husband after the alien cockroach takes him over. “It’s like he was wearing a suit. An Edgar suit.”) Anyhow, I don’t want old looking hands. So what do you do about it? I seriously have no idea. I’ve been drinking my water like a good girl and trying to moisturize (even though it leaves weird oily marks on the keys of my laptop…blech). Maybe I ought to Google it. Course then I'd come across some nutritional supplement that guarantees to help you lose weight, cure any and all diseases, is "completely natural" make your nostrils the same size, and…not make your hands look old. (Another topic switch about to happen. Hold on to your seatbelts.)

Have you ever noticed that there are a lot (a LOT) of products that are sold through MLMs that swear that they cure pretty much everything? And they cost a lot of money. And they are "completely  all-natural" (um, so's the grass outside my door; ain't gonna eat it just cuz it's "natural"). And they aren’t backed by normal medical doctors. Because according to them medical doctors lie. But all the studies that THEIR doctors have done to prove the effectiveness have to be done by…scientists and medical people.
My personal opinion is that most of the reason that stuff works is psycho-somatic (or whatever the word is that means that you believe in it enough to make it work). Add in that, of course, when things don’t work that they always tell you to clean up what you eat and drink the recommended amount of water to really see the benefits and you have to wonder. Wouldn’t you save a lot of time, energy, and money if you just eat right, drink water, exercise and believe in THAT?! I got put on a forum for one of these products and someone asked how they took the product. One pill with breakfast, the special drink 30 minutes later, a different pill with lunch, another something 30 minutes later, more pills at bedtime…I was exhausted just reading and wondering how in the world anyone with any common sense couldn’t take a step back and look at that and see that something wasn’t right. And the conspiracy theories about the medical establishment that gets bandied about. Yes, I know that there are a lot of doctors that are in pharmaceutical companies’ back pockets but I am certainly not going to trust some dingaling lady that did some research on Google on things that backed up her own theories vs. the years and years that my doctor (who also has spent years and years with me and knows my medical history backward and forward) has in schooling. Reminds me of a conversation I had with a lady about 20 years ago. She had studied to be a birth coach for one of those no doctors/no drugs birth programs. She was trying to talk me into letting her be my birth coach instead of using my ob/gyn. And you know what she said to convince me? “We had to take a 6-week course and write a paper and everything! Those doctors just want to drug you up to control your labor so they can get on to the next patient.” Wow. She had to study for 6 weeks and write a paper! Woo-wee. Why yes, I certainly am going to trust YOU to deliver my precious baby and not my doctor of five years who already delivered my first child because you had to "write a paper and everything!"
Morons. The world is full of them. And, yes, Chief Moron is typing this out. I see the hypocrisy of it. And, yes, I’m laughing at myself. And, no, it’s not going to stop me from posting this nonsensical blathering, this not one iota of saneness happening post to my blog. Cuz I’m a rebel, I tell you. Living on the edge.

Oh, and I really want to go see KISS and Def Leppard in concert this summer.

That is all.

No comments: