Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Pinterest experiment

Well, I tried. I'm not going to call this experiment a "fail" but it certainly wasn't a total "pass" either.

I am not a meal planner. I get bored way too easily making the same stuff over and over but trying to find new meals that my family will actually like (they are pretty picky) is hard. So I proposed an experiment. With all of us home over Christmas vacation and needing food for all three meals, I had to get creative. So I created a Christmas Break meals board on Pinterest and added all the kids as contributors. Then I told them to find meals that they'd like to try and pin them. I got one pin from one kid. Joy. But I found a bunch of meals to try, so that was okay.

First problem I ran into...my kids are all teens+ and they like to sleep in. Like past noon, sleep in. So the first couple of days with me getting up and making breakfast? A total bust. I enjoyed the breakfasts all on my ownsies.

Second problem we ran into was lunch. Lunch, also, was kind of a bust because while they hate (HATE) the normal routine of making a sandwich for lunch or scavenging for leftovers, having a fresh meal at lunch freaked them out. Except, of course, the couple days we were on the road and pulled through a drive-thru!

Last, and this one is all on me, I forgot that while I love stuff with cheesy goodness involved, my son does not. And I'd pinned a LOT of cheesilicious recipes! You should have seen the look on the cashier's face when I bought the cheese I needed for the first week.

The second week of Christmas Break, I reverted to the kids' regular favorite meals, which made them happy.

Today we should be in school on our first day back but the wind chill was below 0. For us? That's pretty cold. I know a lot of people in the north or who transplanted here from the north are making fun of the school systems for doing so but here's the facts...we are not geared for this kind of cold! We don't have the clothing and our buildings don't have the insulation. It just is what it is. So make fun of us if you will, but it would make more sense if you tried to think of how you would handle this weather without a coat, scarves, hats that were made to withstand that kind of cold. See what I mean?

In the meantime, I've got a Potato Soup in the small crockpot (from Pinterest) and chili in the big crockpot (not from Pinterest).

 Christmas Break meals board on Pinterest

No comments: