Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Throwing down the gauntlet

My older sister threw down the gauntlet today, which ticks me off because I should be the gauntlet-thrower, thank you very much. She texted my younger sister and I and told us her goals of losing 25 lbs by her birthday (12/22) next year, decluttering 15 minutes a day, and starting her Couch-to-5K plan (I guess to run a 5K this year?). She's going to check in monthly with her weight and measurements with us.

So I can't, CAN'T, let my big sister get one up on me so I'm going to go BOLD and do it in public (that's right, Annie, I'm going PUBLIC with my fat butt!). I took a front and side photo of myself today and will post them tomorrow along with my weight (gulp) and measurements (double gulp). On the first of each month I will post an new set of pictures and numbers.

I'm also signed up to read the Bible through chronologically and I've encouraged my kids to do it with me. Hoping they will. I need some accountability there.

I don't want to commit to declutter for 15 minutes a day because my days are so whackadoodle in the first place and I'm not sure what Jo's soccer schedule will be adding to my schedule for the second place. I'm going to set goals on decluttering certain areas of my home during certain months. I really wanted to get into my laundry room over the break but that's not happening. However, I've done pretty ding-dong-dang well decluttering the cabinets in the kitchen. I've only done one drawer and a couple cabinets so far, but that's further than I've gotten in the laundry room, so I'm going to stick with the kitchen for January. Besides, I really need to get that kitchen under control.

I do like Nony from A Slob Comes Clean's way of decluttering and reorganizing things. She asks two questions: 1) If I needed this item, where would I look for it? and 2) If I needed this item, would it even occur to me that I had this item? I have so many weird and whacky things that I'm keeping  for "just in case" that I really should just get rid of. Luckily, I have the children's ministry resource closet to donate the plethora of stickers, stamps, and other crafty things to.

The other thing that I've pulled from Nony is "delusions of craftiness." That I totally understand. I keep thinking that I'll make something (darn you, Pinterest!) but most of my craft projects end up looking like a 3 year old made it so it's a little bizarre that I have so much craft crap in my house. Yes, there are certain craft items I need to have on hand so the kids can do basic stuff for school projects and for their own craft projects (my sister, Lori's, genes must have jumped sideways on the family tree), but the reality is that I would more likely than not go out and buy the stuff they need instead of thinking that I actually have it on hand. I need to use the craft drawers I have to container-ize (a la Nony...by the way, you can find her at www.aslobcomesclean.com and on Twitter and Facebook)  those craft items and donate the rest. And I probably should make a list of what I actually do have once I've containerized what I'm going to keep so maybe I can check the list before going to buy something? That might be more organized than I could ever hope to be.

But I digress, so tomorrow I need to weigh, measure and post (blech, that already makes me a little nauseated). I guess I need to decide whether I'll do the Daniel Plan or not. I certainly don't eat that way and not sure if I could get the household to go in on it with me. I think it would be too difficult to do it on my own. But that could be an excuse, too. I'm good at excuses. Maybe THAT needs to be my 2014 major goal: no more excuses!

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

No comments: